Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Hospitalization - Day 2 (Part I)

Greetings from Room Six!

I finally fell back asleep after 2 and slept until morning rounds. They came in and asked me if I was still alive and breathing (not really, but that is basically their intent). Then the nursing assistant came in and took my temperature and blood pressure. I ordered breakfast and it takes about 45 minutes for the meals to arrive after I order them. My room was still super hot so I got my 3rd shift nurse S to find me a fan and it has been much better in here since then. We also turned the thermostat down as far as it goes. I was then able to go back to sleep for an hour.


My 1st shift nurse R was back today. She took down my medications that I would like. I talked to her about how I haven't been sleeping well and they prescribed Ambien prn. Yeah, that will be interesting if I choose to take it. They also prescribed me an iron supplement but I refused it because my iron level is really good (I made R check my blood tests from yesterday) and the last thing I want is constipation. Secondary rounds started then and I met the staff doctor, Dr. Greiner. She said that she is going to set a date for my surgery. We made the decision that I will go at 28 weeks if nothing has happened before. She said that it may not fall right on the 21st, but close around that. I would like the 22nd honestly, and not just because it is a Friday but also that will be 7 years to the day since Dan proposed. For those that know me, I love numbers and dates and that would be pretty sweet.


I took another nap (probably the best thing about the hospital-lots of time to nap). Then it was time for our daily monitoring. Maddie was a much better participant today and did not give Rachel a lot of trouble. She got really active during that time and I think it is her way of showing the doctors that she is going to make their life more interesting. The recreation therapist (aka Entertainment Lady L) stopped by and I entertained her with Maddie stories. I also got to see the oncologist today who talked to me about best case and worst case scenarios of her involvement. Basically best case is I come out of the c-section with a uterus, but no one knows how much and worst case is a hysterectomy. She didn't have a lot to share and I didn't have a lot of questions for her. She said there will be other oncologists probably stopping by to see me.


For fun, I checked my work email (I just can't stay away!) and called my favorite JCO to discuss a troublemaker. We talked for almost 40 minutes. With my ADHD, I think I'm going to have to set an alarm on my phone to remind me to order my meals because I nearly forgot to order lunch. I had to wait for a nursing assistant to wrap up my iv before I could take a shower, but that helped me feel better. I was starting to feel icky due to just sitting/laying in bed all day. It is good to put on real clothes instead of just hanging out in my pajamas all day.


Opened gift #2 below and surprisingly waited until noon to open it. Kelsey says it reminded her of me because I had a roommate in college who was overheard on the phone saying, "If my roommate would just stop laying in bed eating Ho-Hos and drinking Diet Coke, maybe she would lose weight." It irritated me because #1 I am hot just the way I am and #2 I hate Ho-Hos. I was laying in bed drinking Diet Coke and eating Swiss Cake Rolls. Little Debbie all the way! Also, I will only be sharing these with Maddie, who I'm sure will enjoy the extra sugar boost and will do flips to keep me from my frequent naps. 



Day #2 gift 



Daily Info
Date: 10.30.13
Gestational Day: 24 weeks 6 days
Weather: Foggy and cloudy
Food: Breakfast: mushroom and ham omelet, french toast, chocolate milk. Lunch: cottage cheese, pineapple, apple slices, grilled cheese, tomato soup, cheesecake.
Entertainment: television (Home Improvement, My Little Mermaid), facebook
Movement: Maddie was especially active during monitoring again today.  
Sleeping: Slept from 2-630, 730-815, 845-1030am
Outside Contact: Emails from mom, Pam, Deb, John & Gina and two of my work kids. Phone calls from mom and Kelsey. Texts from Megan and Jordan. And IMs from Dan. :) 

6 comments:

  1. I love your energy in your writing Mary! And I totally agree about Swiss Cake Rolls...they are the best! Not a fan of ho ho's. Love you! Take care and give good luck belly rubs to Maddie from me.

    Shannon Hadley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary and Maddie- All sounds good today! The Great Grandmas were glad to hear how things went yesterday. Relieved is a better word! Hoping to come on Tuesday, November 5 for another visit! Esther would like to see you before she leaves for AZ. Take care Love to you and Maddie! Dan too! We better not forget the proud father to be! He will be one of Maddie's best friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to sign my comment-Grandma Ibeling-Swanson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the updates! This is an awesome way for us to keep track of your progress. You sound great and it sounds like you are in excellent hands. Tell Maddie to behave herself : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not surprised that YOU entertained the recreation therapist. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary, we are supposed to keep your spirits up and your blog has me laughing out loud. I love you so much and feel so blessed to have you as a daughter. I lucked out with the five of you! Have a great night and God bless you honey. I'll talk to you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete