Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Hospitalization - Day 1

Today I was admitted to the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics to wait out the birth of our little "Gummy Bear". Thus far it has been pretty uneventful (and we are very grateful for that!).

I arrived at the U of I for my scheduled ultrasound at four o'clock. They did all the normal measuring things. I should be at 24 weeks, 5 days and she was a little behind that, but still in the right range. Kelsey, Mom and Deb (Dan's mom) came with me today and Kelsey got in trouble for taking pictures of the ultrasound with her phone. Basically they just asked her to stop, but it was weird because I guess none of the rest of us had ever thought of doing that despite so many ultrasounds down here over the last few months. Darn those young-uns! 

After the ultrasound they sent me up to my room that will be my home for the next few weeks. Two doctors came in (don't recall their names) and reviewed all the scary stuff and I signed releases for blood transfusion, c-section, wedge resection, and hysterectomy. I obviously hope that everything goes well, but they are preparing me for the worst. Then a nurse came in and looked for a good vein to shove a giant needle in. She failed. Sent in several more nurses. Finally, one shoved the giant needle into my arm and searched for a few minutes, just poking the thing around until she found the vein. Glad to be a human pin cushion! I will have to leave the IV port in so that they can give me blood in an emergency.

Dr. Michelle Kompare (neonatologist) came in and talked with me about the numbers and answered questions. She was a lot more positive than I expected and I am hoping to see her when Madelyn gets to the NICU. Dr. Kompare said that the U of I's rates of success with 25 weekers is around 90%. I couldn't hope for much better than that (especially since I'm planning to get past Thursday). She answered a lot of Mom's questions and I didn't really have a lot to ask because I still don't really know what we're looking at. I really liked her. 

Mom, Kelsey and Deb unpacked my bags and Kelsey and Deb both brought me care packages to entertain me. Deb's mostly included food (she must know what Dan will need to be comfortable and happy when he is visiting) along with a couple of magazines and a cross that says, "God Bless This Baby". Kelsey's gift requires patience on my part. There are envelopes/small packages to open each day to entertain me. 

Part of my Day 1 gift. Kelsey brought these and we immediately opened them up  and started eating them.  
They will need to monitor Maddie and I daily for half an hour. Today, she messed with our nurse R right at the end of R's shift. I think we need to work on empathy! Every time Rachel got the bands on and she attempted to leave the bedside, Maddie would move and make R start over. Mom was very entertained by this. Finally the charge nurse came in and Maddie decided that the games needed to end. As a result of this, I was hooked up for almost an hour. 

Mom, Deb and Kelsey left around 7 and I pretty much ate and then fell asleep after the monitoring. I was hungry and so, so very tired due to getting up at 1 am. Soon after I fell asleep they came in and had to do my vitals but I was still pretty much unconscious. I was able to sleep from 8:30-11 but then woke up because my room was super hot. I tried to find a nurse, which took almost 10 minutes and made me realize that I hadn't actually left my room since I had gotten up here. 

I really appreciate all the emails, texts, facebook messages and prayers that Dan, Maddie and I are receiving. I have not been awesome about returning messages and for that I apologize. I feel like the last two weeks have been a whirlwind and I hope that this blog will help everyone to stay updated and then I won't forget to update anyone! Also, then people can check in when they are curious. 

Due to it now being past 1 am, I should probably try to sleep again as the doctors will be back to probe me between 6 and 6:30 am.

This guy came with me to the hospital. He/she is a gift from Kate and Cael and has a voice box which says "Love you Maddie" in each of their voices. 
Daily Info
Date: 10.29.13
Gestational Day: 24 weeks 5 days
Food: Lunch at Beck's (mmm...chicken tortilla soup!). Supper was grilled cheese, tomato soup, chocolate pudding and cottage cheese.
Entertainment: television (Hunger Games, Despicable Me, Keeping Up with the Kardashians), Candy Crush Saga
Visitors: Mom, Deb and Kelsey dropped me off
Movement: Maddie has been moving a lot today. Specifically from 11am-1pm and during our monitoring tonight. She had some really big kicks tonight during the monitoring. 
Sleeping: Woke up at 1 am and couldn't fall back asleep. Fell asleep at 8:30 pm and slept till 11 pm. 
Things I learned: My daughter is a practical joker with the nurses. The numbers are less scary for Madelyn, but there are no promises.


  1. Mary!

    I love this!! this is awesome! Aaron, Phillip, and I are rooting for you! I saw this as Phillip slaps his cheerios all over the dining room floor... I hope you are stay comfortable and well rested! I love and miss you!

    Best Cousin of all Time
    Regina (wink face)

  2. Hello Mary,
    I enjoyed reading about your first two days. We have all been praying for you and Madilyn, love her name! :) We lit a candle for you on Sunday. We know you will be an amazing mommy so keep up your spirits and know good things are waiting for you. We will love spoiling your baby, just like we love spoiling Kate and Cael. Take care and know you, your husband, and baby Madilyn are in our thoughts! :) Love, Your Brighton Family :)

  3. Thanks for sharing your journey with us, Mary! You sound great and make me laugh for sure about the roommate. You, Dan and Maddie are always in our prayers. Love and prayers, The Guehlstorfs