Friday, December 13, 2013

NICU - Day 21 (Part II)

Madelyn's surgery went well today. She did not lose any more bowel and they were able to sew her up. Mom had the surgeon draw us a picture afterwards and it looks like Maddie has about 28 cm of small intestines left and her transverse colon. She is currently all hooked up inside other than where her ostomy is.

She has slept most of the day, but opened her eyes a little bit when Dan arrived and talked to her tonight. Her lung was still collapsed at her 4 pm x-ray. Her numbers still look good. She is doing as well using one lung as some kids can do with two. They will be doing another x-ray at midnight.

Mom went home today. Maddie and I are going to try to avoid emergencies for the weekend. Though she enjoys being down here, I'm sure Mom will also enjoy actually being at home for one weekend and sleeping in her own bed. 

Ashley, my roommate from college and cousin, came to visit today too. She brought many gifts, but the obvious favorite is New York Yankees boxing gloves. They are hanging on Maddie's bed. Our little fighter needed a pair. They say Madelyn "Mad Dog" Ibeling. What an awesome new nickname.

Hello Cousin Ashley! Nice to meet you!


I am working to improve my pumping as I slacked off for much of the last week. It is hard to feel like pumping when you feel stressed by your child's illness as well as your own. I'm seeing improvement already today.

Madelyn "Mad Dog" Ibeling


Quote of the day: "I heard shorter bowels are all the rage in Milan." - Cousin Kelli

No comments:

Post a Comment