Sunday, December 1, 2013

NICU - Day 9

Date: December 1

It looks like she is sucking her thumb, but she was not.

Madelyn sucked on her pacifier today! The nurse and I were both surprised because a baby of 29 weeks gestation should not be sucking on a pacifier as steadily as she was. She would suck on it 5-10 times, then pause for a few seconds and then suck another 5-10 times. Her feedings were changed to 10 mLs every 4 hours. She struggled with spitting up and having residual in her stomach from previous feedings, so they wanted to give her a longer time period to digest her food.

With her plug. 


Madelyn also had a head ultrasound which came back normal - no bleeds! Last night, before coming back to the Ronald McDonald House, I got a chance to talk to Madelyn's overnight nurse and told her Madelyn's amazing story. She had a similar experience where she was encouraged to terminate and now her son is becoming a minister!

Pumping has been an interesting activity. It is not as easy as I thought it would be. I need to wake up every couple of hours during the night to pump, but have been shutting off my alarms in my sleep and even dreaming that I pumped and waking up to realize that there is no milk to show for it. I have been told that if I had a baby at home, that I would have to wake up even more frequently to feed her but if I had a baby at home, she wouldn't have a button that would shut her off so I could fall right back to sleep. She would cry until I got up and went to her to breastfeed.

This sign is nearly always outside
Maddie's room if I'm at the hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment