Thursday, December 26, 2013

NICU - Day 34

Date: December 26th
Gestational Age: 33 weeks
Weight: 1545 grams




Madelyn finally got her ostomy bag put on today. They had just been covering the site with gauze and as a result she had a big red spot (burn) around her site. The skin person came and looked at it this morning and then they put on the bag. I spoke to the doctor today and he said that he is not concerned about the size of her residuals (they've been between 2 and 4 mLs) that they have been measuring before her feedings the last couple days. He said he will only be concerned if they start to really stack up.

Maddie is not ready to give up her Santa hat quite yet.

I also met the occupational therapist this morning. She talked to me about some things that Dan and I can be doing including going to both sides of her isolette to talk to her, switching up which arms we hold her in, and starting to do chest-to-chest holds. That way she will get used to moving her head and neck. Also, continuing to give her loving touch so that it isn't just medical touch that she is getting.

Tonight, the nurse told me that Maddie also had what appears to be some dumping in her ostomy bag. We reminded her to keep working on her ability to absorb her food instead of just letting it slip right through. I was able to hold her again tonight but not as long as I wanted because my back has begun to hurt and as little as she weighs, it was starting to bother me more. The pain is right in the center of my back between my shoulder blades, so it makes it impossible for me to rub it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment