Tuesday, January 28, 2014

NICU - Day 67

Date: January 28th
Gestational Date: 37 weeks 5 days
Weight: 2770 (wet)

Still intubated


After extubated


Before I got over to the hospital this morning, I got a phone call that Maddie was being moved to Bay 3! This is the second time we have been over here as she was moved from Bay 1 to Bay 3 two days after she was born. Bay 2 and Bay 3 are essentially the same level of care. They were able to drop her SIMV rate from 15 to 10 this morning (she had started on 20 after surgery). Maddie is now in a super small room without a door (just a curtain) which means that it gets very noisy. There is a baby down the hall that has been crying like a cat for the last 10 minutes. I feel sad listening to the baby going on and on. Maddie however, rests quietly, her hand inching up and up towards her intubation... I think she is saying, "Take this out before I do!"


Pre-extubation


Maddie was extubated this afternoon and had her PICC line taken out. She is happy to be back on her regular cannula from before surgery. No stool yet, so no eating yet. This makes her a big grumpy. She was lowered on her morphine, but she seems to be coping with that well. Surgery came and said her incision looks really good. It is currently covered with a bandage, but that is just so it won't rub against her diaper. She can now wear clothes again too!

Daddy and his princess
Dad came and visited today. Maddie as usual, enjoyed the extra attention. We cuddled for part of the afternoon. It took a lot time to get all the things done before she could be held (labs, x-rays, get RT to come get the ventilator, etc.).

Before massive diaper.

Maddie peed all the way up to her shoulder blades today. The diaper weighed 107 grams! That is a lot of pee. I am really glad that she is peeing off her water weight. I have decided that I will measure my weight minus water from now on. I'm not exactly sure how to do that, so I'm just going to assume 1/5 of my weight is water and announce my weight based on that assumption.


After massive diaper. All dressed up in her "uggs".


No comments:

Post a Comment