Saturday, November 23, 2013

NICU - Day 1

Date: November 23rd

Mom slept at the hospital with me Friday night. It was fairly uneventful. I woke up at 4 am Saturday and wanted to try pumping, but could not find one of the pieces I needed for the pump. Mom ended up getting up with me to help try to find the piece. It was found hours later after we had asked for another pumping pieces set. I felt really good waking up on Saturday and had a lot of energy. I saw the doctors out in the hallway and they were shocked that I was feeling good enough to be up and around. I saw Maddie again in the morning and she was doing well, not needing any additional oxygen over the 21% in the room air. They started talking about taking her off the ventilator that she had been put on Friday due to grunting and struggling a little bit.

I began to feel nauseated in the afternoon while in the NICU and mom offered to go to the cafeteria to get me food so that I could rest or stay in the NICU. I felt fine, so went down to the cafeteria with Mom, Deb and Sarah to get some food. I started feeling worse while we were down there and Deb went to find me a wheelchair. Before we could even get out of the lobby area, I knew I was going to be sick. I feel really bad for the people who had to clean up my mess and also for the people with me that had to witness it. After my mess downstairs, I rested for awhile but made it back to the NICU to see Maddie get her 6 pm feeding. The nurse in the NICU was great and earlier in the day had offered to let Dan change a diaper, but he wanted to observe more. Saturday night, Maddie was under the "baby tanning lights" and had to wear a purple mask to protect her eyes.




Maddie's name outside her door


Tanning shades

One whole day old.



Chillin' in her fake sun. 



Just relaxin'.


I went to visit Jessie and it turned out she had her baby on Saturday in a big hurry! She was feeling good and her baby was doing well.

Kelsey and Renae came by and brought me clean laundry and brought us pizza for supper. I'm sure that was their whole plan for visiting the hospital, but they also went to see Maddie since they were in the area.

Mom stayed again Saturday night because Dan doesn't sleep well at the hospital and Mom can help me with pumping. After she went to sleep, Dan and I went back to the NICU to see Maddie for a little bit. I came back and pumped before going to bed.

Pictures are coming. I wanted to at least get everything written so that I wouldn't forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment