Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Hospitalization - Day 8 (Part II)

"It's like a tv show... we need to talk about common interests." -Rachel C. on why she shared my blog with another co-worker.

I am so glad that my life is like a tv show. As if I haven't heard that before. I'm glad that I get to be the star of this specific tv show and that so many people are entertained by my adventures. I really do enjoy letting everyone know what it is like to be perfectly healthy but stuck in a hospital room for a few weeks. I can't wait until I can share our little girl with all of you when she's born (but I can of course wait until the 22nd because she needs this extra cooking time)!

Deb had a sore throat, so had to wear a mask.


Deb, Grandma Ibeling, Grandma Feikes, and Esther came to visit today. They brought lots of gifts and we talked for awhile and played Fact or Crap (gift from Pam and Teresa). We then went to one of the cafeterias for lunch. It was delicious and best of all, it was not from the menu so it didn't have to be low in fat and sodium.  I also took the grandmas and Esther down to the newborn nursery and we looked at the babies through the window. They are so tiny! Sometimes I purposely go to the nutrition room by the nurses desk or go out to see the nurses rather than waiting for them to come down to me just so I can look at the babies. I know that Madelyn will be hooked up to machines and need extra help when she is born, but I am just so excited to be able to hold my little girl in my arms. I love seeing the moms in the newborn nursery with their babies. It makes my heart leap for joy!

Grandma I, me, teddy, Esther, Grandma F

Deb and I


When we got back from lunch, I was informed that Madelyn and I only have to be monitored twice a week now (Mondays and Thursdays) instead of every morning. We're doing so well that they are decreasing our sessions. They will still monitor if I have pain or if she seems to be decreasing her movements though.

Afternoon snack.

I was not completely lazy today. I actually fixed some reports, entered some notes, completed a discharge, and worked on a treatment plan. Yep, that's right, I was productive. More work tomorrow on treatment plans and reports, but I felt like I accomplished quite a bit today. I also found time to talk to some coworkers on the inter-office message system (Surprise, surprise!).

Ah, relaxation. Blanket and chocolates courtesy of Pam and Teresa. 


Renae came up and brought me clean laundry (Yay!) and a cupcake (Snickers!) from the new Scratch that opened in Coralville. Unfortunately the kiddos couldn't come because Kate is feeling a little under the weather. Renae couldn't stay super long because she had a spelling test to study for. I told Renae that she should just sound out the words and that I'm sure she'll do fine, but she insisted that she go home to study.

So delicious!

I forgot to mention that we saw L, the Entertainment Lady, just before lunch today. I didn't make it to craft group, but did stop by and talk to two of the ladies that I met last week at our educational group.

Flowers from Deb.

Once again tonight, the nurses (led by B again) came to play Cards Against Humanity. They are slowly starting to warm up to the idea of having filthy minds. I love it so much. Tonight, we got six nurses to play! This is becoming an every night activity. I apologize in advance to all the other patients for all the nurses disappearing around 8:30 or 9 pm each night so they can play the card game for horrible people in my room. Hope there are no emergencies at this time of night!

And this is why I'm becoming the most liked patient.

Bad news bears. My nurse tonight, NL, went to flush my ivs and my left one was leaking. She had to pull it out and then Mo (the anesthesiologist that put my left iv in last time) came and put a new one in. Two times in a row, he has not spilled one drop of blood. Mo is pretty much just awesome. He gave me his schedule (Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sun) so that I know when he can come back to replace ivs for me. Definitely my favorite anesthesiologist. Is it weird that someone would have a favorite anesthesiologist? It would be really great if he were the one that was present for my surgery on the 22nd.


Daily Info
Date: November 5th
Gestational Date: 25 weeks, 5 days
Visitors: Deb, Grandma Feikes, Esther, Grandma Ibeling, Renae
I am grateful for: cupcakes. How can a person not love cupcakes? I feel like Madelyn will love cupcakes from day 1, even though she won't be able to eat them for a few months. I even bought her an outfit that includes a onesie covered in cupcakes.

Goal accomplished!

6 comments:

  1. OMG, you are becoming a human pin cushion. I am so sorry that you had to get stuck again but I am glad that Mo was on. His sense of humor helps too. Have a good night, love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a couple of comments for today:
    1. I LOVE the color on your toes!
    2. Ryan and I can't figure out why we haven't played "Cards Against Humanity" yet. That's on the must-do list for next time we see you!

    Love ya!
    Shannon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. was a great day visiting with you mary! Enjoyed everything except looking like I was going into surgery! We thought we could go entertain you but somehow your wonderful personality turns it around and you entertain us instead:) Love you Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am FAMOUSSSSSS.
    -Calkins

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think "I" am going to ace "my" spelling test!!! :)
    More scratch this weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I" missed the words 'catch.' "I" spelled it 'cetch.' Which "my mom" said makes total sense because that is how I say it, but it is still wrong.

    How many times can I use quotes to mean something else??

    ReplyDelete