Saturday, November 2, 2013

Hospitalization - Day 5

Aloha!

Sorry that there is only one post today. It was the start to my first weekend at the U of I. They only did one set of rounds today and they were around 7:30 am. At 9:30, the nutrition department called and asked if I was going to eat breakfast and I ordered enough food for almost three people. You're not supposed to order food for anyone but you, the patient. However, if your eyes are bigger than your stomach, what can they say? So, when they called me this morning, my eyes were huge. :-) 


The hubby and I.
During monitoring this morning, the nurse sat here the entire time and joined Madelyn in her game of Hide and Seek. It only took us about 30 minutes. I'm thinking at this point, my stomach is just becoming used to having ultrasound jelly all over it. The worst part is when they get it in your belly button. Nothing like scrubbing between the wrinkles inside your belly button trying to rid yourself of jelly. Luckily, pregnancy helps you with this by stretching your belly button and trying to push it flat so you don't even have a belly button at all.... Ah, the gifts of pregnancy. 

I started to get a migraine this morning. It seems like these are coming almost daily now. I can't tell if it is from the amount of time I stare at my television and computer or from the interrogation lights they place in the room. I like that they offer three types of lights in my room: a spotlight above the bed, super dim lights that belong in a club, and the lights that make you want to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I have to take my migraine medication from home because they don't carry it in the pharmacy here. The only problem is that I have 7 pills left. Looks like I will be switching to something else pretty soon unless the headaches stop by some miracle. I got another migraine tonight that came with nausea. Luckily, it was close enough to bedtime that I took my whole slew of medications and am preparing to go to sleep. 


A glittery puzzle with pandas and 3-D jewels.

Dan and I did a puzzle and built a Lego VW bus today. It was fun. We took the puzzle back apart but the bus gets to stay together. 


Our Lego bus.

I got a new iv in my right arm today. They took it out of my hand because it was getting painful (and to me it looked puffy like the fluids they were flushing it with were just sitting below the skin). The nurse said they might need to put a PICC line in due to still having almost three weeks to go and how many ivs they have already put in. The anesthesiologist today was not a very social fellow. He made me do some of the work and was crabby with the nurse too. Even she said that he is not her favorite. Her favorite is probably Mo who I saw yesterday and was a lot happier of a guy. They best thing about having the ivs in my arms is that I can now return to washing my hands. Nothing like peeing every 20 minutes and being told that you can't wash your hands. I am not one of those people that can go into a bathroom without washing my hands, no matter why I'm in the bathroom. Please don't throw up after reading that I haven't been washing my hands for a few days, I HAVE been using hand sanitizer and more often that I even wash my hands normally because I feel so very dirty all the time. 

We watched the Iowa-Wisconsin game today. By watch I mean I watched and Dan played on my computer and ignored the television. We also did some people watching out the window. Some people get really nicely dressed up for the game. I saw a lot of black and gold to my joy. The game was really good for the first half but turned disgusting awful quickly. I didn't have time to grieve the loss because I had very special visitors this afternoon... THE GOBLES!


Me and my cousins, the Gobles.

Ashley, Shaun and I
Shaun, Jeff and Ashley showed up and entertained us with all the words that Shaun has learned and awesomeness in general. Ashley brought a bag of hospital necessities. Movies like: Finding Nemo, Sister Act, Anchorman, Elf, Wall-E, Princess Bride, Best of SNL: Will Ferrell and Hairspray. Also mini Crunch bars, apple butter and pickles. Shaun loves Dan. I have joked since Kate was a baby that he is the baby whisperer and he further proved that today when Shaun became his best friend pretty much right away. 
The baby whisperer with his new best friend.

I also paid some bills this afternoon. I packed Dan's checkbook so now he can bring bills down on the weekends and I will pay them and then send him back for him to drop in the mailbox. As a reward for paying the bills, Dan went to the cafeteria and got me cheese balls. Sweet, greasy, cheesy, goodness. 

After the Gobles left, Dan and I tried to take a nap. I succeeded, poor Dan did not. I was woken from my nap when the nutrition department called to ask if I wanted supper. It is as if they have been reading my blog posts and noted the fact that I forget to order my meals. I once again ordered too much food for myself and my husband was forced to finish it. :-)

Daily Info
My plan today FAILED. Cute Panda that Dan drew.
Date: November 2
Gestational Day: 25 weeks 2 day

Weather: Mostly Sunny

Food: Breakfast: french toast, omelet, apples, pineapple, chocolate milk. Lunch: fiber bars and cheese balls Supper: grilled cheese, tomato soup, cottage cheese, apples, pineapple, cheesecake and chocolate milk.
Visitors: Dan and the Gobles: Ashley, Jeff and Shaun.
Entertainment: Shaun, facebook, Iowa game, continued playing of Cards Against Humanity.

I am grateful for: anesthesiologists who can put in ivs without making them painful.

2 comments:

  1. I love this Mary very entertaining and nice to stay informed on how you are doing. The doctor on your board Saturday delivered my twins. Glad it isnt too bad. Hang there I am thinking of you. Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Calkins told me this was a must read and she's correct! You crack me up and I'm glad all is well so far :-) sending my thoughts and prayers to you and your family!
    Jass

    ReplyDelete