Thursday, November 7, 2013

Hospitalization - Day 10 (Part I)

Awake at 5 am. I kind of feel like I'm at home with waking up that early. On the mornings that I wake up this early, I usually watch Morning Express on HLN. And double awesome? I woke up without a headache! I think that is a sign that I need to drink massive amounts of caffeine today to avoid a headache. Not sure that will work, but it is worth a try.

I finished a treatment plan this morning since I was already up and alert. Doctors came in and asked how things were going. No changes, thankfully. I asked about at time for my c-section on the 22nd but they were unable to give one. I will be delivering in the main operating room and so they can get a date but won't get a time until we get closer. They are trying for first thing that morning which is good for two things in my opinion: #1 everyone is fresh in the morning and not exhausted by all of their other surgeries/procedures they've had to do and #2 maybe if I have Madelyn early in the morning, I will be recovered enough by evening to see her and won't have to wait until the next day. The doctors reviewed with me that I will be getting a second round of steroids the week of the 22nd to help with Madelyn's lungs and decrease her risk for brain bleeds. The steroids are most effective between 48 hours and 7 days after they are given. I was given a round of steroids at 24 weeks and 24 weeks 1 day just in case I needed to deliver in an emergency, but this second round should be especially effective as it should be just before she is born.

One of the nurses brought me a lamp today so that I don't have to use the lights in my room to decrease my risk of migraines. I think it has worked pretty well since I didn't get a migraine today. I took a nap for an hour this morning as well.

My dad came to visit and spent two hours with me. He brought a gift for me and one for Maddie. My gift is a four foot long multi-colored catepillar and hers is a turtle that walks and talks and tells the baby to crawl. It will be really interesting to see if the turtle encourages Maddie to learn to crawl. Either way it is super soft and cute.

Dad with the gifts he bought for Maddie and I. 
We also discussed the future of the Yankees, what we would do if we were Brian Cashman, who should and shouldn't be inducted into Cooperstown, our mutual hatred for the Boston Red Sox and the various name changes nearly every major league baseball team has gone through. Then we sadly discussed how much the Vikings truly suck.


Daily Info
Date: November 7, 2013
Gestational Date: 26 weeks
Countdown to Baby Day: 15 days
Today I am grateful for: my sisters. (See Part II for the Ode to Renae.)

My sister Kelsey gave me a bag of cards and wrapped presents when I entered the hospital. Each day I have something to open to encourage me or keep me entertained. Much of it is food (obvious choice for the knocked up lady) and I have posted almost all of the gifts she's sent on the blog. That's Kelsey, constantly thinking up unique ways to show that she cares. I think that older siblings always feel a sort of parental feeling towards their younger siblings. Even if your parents don't push you into that role (and mine didn't), you feel a sort of responsibility for the younger sibling. Examples: helping her brush her teeth, giving her baths, being the person she crawled in bed with when she was scared, letting her tag along to movies with my friends, and watching Lion King three times in a row while replaying her favorite scenes ("I'll be a monkey's uncle", Hakuna Matata, and I Just Want to Be King) and fast forwarding (I'm old, forgive me) through the parts that she hated (when Mufasa dies and when Scar and Simba fight at the end). Also singing a duet to Can You Feel the Love Tonight (let's be honest, that part was for me). I am so proud of the adult that she is becoming. I can't wait for Maddie to meet her, they will have so much fun together.

Kelsey and I being super cool.

Day 10 gift from Kelsey. Eight hours later, this package is empty.

No comments:

Post a Comment