Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Hospitalization - Day 8 (Part I)

Good morning!

So last night after I published my entry, I continued to have a migraine. The nurses and doctors decided that to finally get rid of the migraine, they would give me reglan and benadryl through my iv. They started at 10:30 and it went until like 4 this morning because the third shift nurse forgot to come and change the bags. Meanwhile, I slept drugged but crappy. The drugs made me feel like I lived in a different realm where everything was backwards and upside down. Also, because the 2nd shift nurse set it up so that I would get saline in between bags if the nurses didn't get in here to switch it right away, I had to get up (all drugged and woozy) to use the bathroom twice. I didn't call a nurse because they can be super busy around here, especially on 3rd shift (one of the other ante-partums said that she thinks they only have two nurses at night for the whole floor). I thought it was previously difficult to sleep with ivs because they get hooked on pillows and blankets, but sleeping while tethered to a machine was even more difficult. there were two times where I about choked myself with the piping. Even after they released me from the machine, my weird dreams continued for a couple more hours.

I ask the staff physician (Greiner) this morning about another ultrasound and she said that it is unlikely that I will get another one before Madelyn is born. I think it is kind of weird. It is like they want the surprise of opening me up and not knowing what to expect. The nurse midwife yesterday said that for every day that I can keep Madelyn safe in my uterus, it is (on average) two less days in the NICU.

This morning was weigh and urine day. Apparently they do this every Tuesday morning and I just happened to miss it by a few hours last week. They have a pee catcher for the toilet, but still made me pee in a cup. What kind of crap is that? Pregnant ladies should never be asked to pee in anything smaller than a lake because it is already hard for a lot of girls to pee in a cup and then you add a pregnant belly and a distrustful bladder to the mix.

Anyway, I succeeded and then was rewarded with being weighed. My plan to gain back all the weight I've lost during my pregnancy plus the 15 pounds I was told I could gain when I got pregnant is slow. I've only gained three pounds in the last two weeks. Disappointing. I was hoping they would have to roll me onto the operating table. Sadly, it looks like I will not be waddling accidentally before the baby is born, although I might waddle on purpose, just to be able to experience it in case this is my only pregnancy. (Also, who doesn't love a good waddle?!)

Also, I noticed that my arm looks like I have been not been making good choices. Not exactly my best look, but thought I would share with all of you. I should mention that my wrist looks similar as well.

Ouch.


I opened the Day #8 gift from Kelsey, which was actually for Maddie and not me. I still tried it on, despite the note that said it wasn't for me. Maddie is going to get plenty of things that are new to her, she'll just have to accept that I wore her tiara before her.

She's already a princess and she's not even fully grown.


I am now awaiting my visitors from Ackley. I should probably end this blog so that I can get dressed, so I don't look like the slob we all know I am, when they arrive.

I will fill in the usual daily stuff below, later.

1 comment: