Monday, November 11, 2013

Hospitalization - Day 14

Wow. I opened this window to start my daily entry around 2 pm. Then I got distracted. Oops.

So, this morning I woke up for all the normal poking and prodding, but then went back to sleep and slept until 11! It was awesome. I woke up when Deb, Pam, and Grandma and Grandpa Feikes arrived. Deb brought gifts for Maddie including a quilt that was made by a woman in Ackley, Duplo Legos, and cute newborn socks. We ate lunch in the cafeteria again.

Grandma, me, Grandpa and Pam with Maddie's new gifts!

Also, did you see it was snowing today?! I love snow. I feel like I love snow more this year than in past years. The flakes were huge! I feel like I'm using my "Buddy the Elf" typing voice here. But it was really pretty. I just sat in my room and watched the snow fall for a long time today.

I realized today that if everything goes as planned, Madelyn will be born on the 50th anniversary of the assassination of JFK. It sounds weird that I would know when that date would even be, but anyone that knows me well knows that I have an unnatural obsession with JFK. I met Ashley in a class on the topic of the assassination freshman year at Loras and had reoccurring nightmares regarding finding "the real killer"** as small child (preschool or kindergarten probably). I wonder if Madelyn will love history like Dan and I do. When I told Ashley about the historical significance of the date of my c-section, she told me that maybe Madelyn will finally figure out the real killer. That would be pretty sweet, but she doesn't HAVE to set her goals in life that high.

Due to it being Monday, we had to sit through monitoring today but luckily it went pretty quickly (about 30 minutes). When I looked at the strip it had a black bar on it for nearly the whole time. The black bar identifies when the baby is moving. The biggest problem is that now I have to pee nearly all the time, so at about 25 minutes in, with Madelyn kicking like crazy, I thought I was going to pee my pants. Luckily, we didn't have much longer.

After monitoring, I took a long hot shower (I didn't pee my pants, just needed a daily shower). I recognize that other people feel my room is cold (I believe it was compared to the arctic the other day) but I am still hot most of the time (stupid hormones). By taking a hot shower, I come out and feel like my room is actually cool. I heard today that it is cold outside, but since I have been in my prison for almost two weeks now, I know nothing about that. For those that are planning to visit me, please plan to continue to wear your winter coat indoors (or freeze).

This afternoon we watched Katie Couric's show to see Taye Diggs (love him!) and then I talked to Jordan for awhile on the phone so I could hear about the Pink concert and Wicked. Then I watched Ellen. She is one of my favorite people ever. Honestly, I sometimes think of what it would be like to have Ellen as a best friend. Can you imagine all the cool stuff I could get involved in? I mean, we could volunteer at soup kitchens, have dinner parties, and just hang out and watch funny movies while we drank wine. Sorry Jordan, but if Ellen wants to be my best friend, I might actually be too busy to watch all of our shows and have hour long conversations afterward.

After Ellen, I went down to Sarah's room and talked to her while she worked on one of her quilts. All the squares are cut, so now she is pinning and sewing! Eli came to see me apparently and I wasn't in my room, but he found me in hers. I haven't been having any of the problems he asks about, so it wasn't a big deal. Later on, we walked down to the Marketplace on 1st floor so I could get some cheeseballs. They also had popcorn, so I got some of that too. Then we sat and chatted while we listened to an orchestra practice. The conductor kept stopping them to tell them that they were not very good. Entertainment for sure. When we came back upstairs, we went to look at the babies in the newborn nursery. The nursing assistants brought them over to the window. One had the chubbiest cheeks. I'm not sure that Maddie will ever have cheeks that chubby. Another baby was in the swing but was MAD. She screamed until she turned red. The third baby had a really tiny head. Lucky mother she has. The nursing assistants said one of the babies was in their ALL day and another came in at 7:30 for the night. Sarah and I offered to give the nursing assistants a break and we would just go in there and cuddle with the babies for awhile, but unfortunately, they wouldn't take us up on our offers.

Came back to the room and talked to mom, Renae and Dan on the phone. No big news. Just letting them know that Maddie and I are still doing well. Dan had a rough day at work so I tried to cheer him up. They had some issues with a wax silo and I said if they have to shutdown the factory, he could just come here and spend more time with me and Maddie. Even though that sounded good, he is a loyal employee who is concerned about everything going smoothly at work, so he did not think it was the greatest idea. I finally got his FMLA paperwork situation figured out today so hopefully he will be able to be here for the birth on the 22nd and stay through the following Monday to help me post-op. Renae pointed out that I will be a mommy next week. That's pretty crazy. I have pretty much only wanted to grow up to be a mommy since I was little, but the idea that in 10 1/2 days I will have a baby outside of my stomach that I can kiss and cuddle on sounds pretty amazing. I have so many hopes and dreams for her already.

I started to make a schedule for visitors for the rest of the week. I would like to clarify that visitors are pretty much always welcome. I do like having some notice, because I don't want people to feel like I didn't have enough quality time with them when they visited. Those that visit do have to fill out a health questionnaire when they visit, so be prepared for that.

I opened my day 13 gift from Kelsey. It was lemon drops. I apparently have to share them with her though. I also finished my Halloween mini M&Ms.

Yummy. Kelsey, you should hurry and visit or they'll be gone.
Empty. :-( 


Daily Info
Date: November 11th (Today is 8 years since Dan decided he liked me as more than a friend. Time has really flown!)
Gestational Date: 26 weeks, 4 days
Countdown to Medical Extraction: 10 1/2 days (I'm assuming she will be delivered in the morning on the 22nd)
Today I am thankful for: all of the people who have fought for our freedom. My grandfather and brother, Dan's grandfathers, father and uncle and all of my friends and classmates that are in the armed forces.










** I used quotation marks here for those of you are are not conspiracy theorists. You should be ashamed of yourselves for believing in the lies that the government tells you about the murder of our 35th president (Just kidding, I will keep on dreaming up conspiracies regarding the assassination, but you can believe what you want).

No comments:

Post a Comment