Monday, November 4, 2013

Hospitalization - Day 7

Hey ya'll!

I know people were getting used to two entries a day and then I started to only post one a day and some have filed complaints about the decrease in information from me. If today had gone differently, you might actually have gotten two entries. But alas, it is only one again today.

Woke up to doctors asking the same questions as always. Then went back to sleep so they would get to wake me again in another hour. I know they enjoy waking me twice in the morning and I don't want them to miss out on all that fun. No news from their rounds. The big thing that happened was that the staff doctor (Greiner) noticed my ongoing game of Cards Against Humanity and even read some of the cards out loud! I explained the game and she said something like, "Well, I guess I'm not in Missouri anymore!" I tried to explain that my family has a sick (but awesome) sense of humor. She and the other doctors did laugh about the ones on my board though which made me feel a little better. The last thing I need to do is offend the people that will be cutting me open in a couple weeks.

I ate breakfast, including toast with Ashley's fabulous apple butter atop. I talked to Megan for awhile on the phone, but then it was time for monitoring. Madelyn participated very well and it didn't take us long at all. I took a short nap and then my mom called for her daily update on my life. I ate my lunch and realized that it is really easy to get tired of eating the same things morning, noon and night every day. Especially when it is cafeteria food and purposely low on fat and salt. I thought that pregnant ladies were supposed to be able to eat whatever makes them happy. Apparently the UIHC was not notified of this. Even the saltine crackers they send with my soup has "unsalted tops". How can they even be called saltines without salted tops?

The cafeteria is getting fancy with how they plate up my grilled cheese.
This afternoon I got a sudden tightening pain on my left side, pain in my lower back and a migraine all at once. I took my migraine medicine and then they monitored Madelyn again and she was a perfect lady and participated wonderfully again. Considering she participated twice in one day, she probably won't want to be monitored again for the rest of our stay. The midwife and med student came and saw me a few times to make sure that my pain wasn't getting worse, but let me sleep for an hour. My migraine went away partially but I still have a headache now, 7 hours later. I have taken the migraine medication that my OB/GYN in Waterloo had prescribed to me and Phenergan and still can't get rid of it. The pain in my side has slowly improved and considering how hard Maddie has been kicking today, I have to wonder if it wasn't just a really hard kick that caused my body to react that way. (Not likely, but I like to imagine her becoming a famous soccer player.)

What I'm watching every day at 4 pm.

Kelsey showed up and hung out for a few hours. We watched Ellen (by the way, the guests for the next two days will be awesome: Taye Diggs, Matthew McConaughey, Ashton Kutcher). We ordered Pizza Hut and watched How I Met Your Mother. SPOILER ALERT! How awesome was the thing that happened at the lighthouse? Amazing. Also, I love the relationship between Lily and Linus. Hilarious! Kelsey left after HIMYM because she was concerned about walking out to the parking garage on her own.

Little sis and I.


I also informed Kelsey that the longer I stay here, the more I smell like hospital. It gets exponentially worse daily, despite how much I shower and how long I scrub myself. I am starting to become concerned that I will continue to smell like hospital even after I go home.

Today was a "bear pants" kind of day.
After Kelsey left, my night nurse, B, came in and also noticed the Cards Against Humanity on my white board. She said it is an awesome game and that she wants to buy it to play with her kids for the holidays. She then suggested we play with the nurses tonight. We chose the card out of the box that says, "Tonight on 20/20, what you don't know about ______ could kill you." I played too with the four nurses that we got to play. Mine was "the placenta" which probably won't be funny to a lot of people, but considering my current situation, made me laugh pretty hard. B's answer was not quite as blog appropriate as mine was. Despite a splitting headache, I had some great laughs with the nurses when I saw their choices. At least three out of the four are looking to buy it now. I should get some sort of pay out for how many people I have introduced to Games Against Humanity that have already bought it.

The nurses and I playing Cards Against Humanity.

Daily Info
Date: November 4th
Gestational Date: 25 weeks, 4 days
Food: Breakfast: omelet, pineapple, apple slices, toast and chocolate milk. Lunch: grilled cheese, pineapple, apple slices, tomato soup. Supper: Pizza Hut 3 cheese stuffed crust with ham and mushroom and cheese breadsticks. Snacks: Sour Patch Kids
Today I am grateful: For Madelyn who keeps me entertained with her random kicking and messing with the nurses.

Today's plan was only halfway accomplished. Still have the headache. 

3 comments:

  1. 1. I support Madelyn's goal of becoming a professional soccer player.
    2. How excited were you to type "SPOILER ALERT"?
    3. Who won the first round of Cards Against Humanity?
    4. The answer to #3 is Jordan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom has not gotten to play yet, so I am waiting until she can play on Friday before choosing a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never win so I won't, but it'll be fun to play. Have dad play when he comes down. His response won't be blog friendly but will make you laugh. Have a good night. I love you and Maddie.

    ReplyDelete