Tuesday, November 26, 2013

NICU - Day 4

Date: November 26th

Wow, today was another big day in the NICU. Maddie was previously receiving 3 mLs of breast milk, 4 times a day and now she is getting 4 mLs, 6 times a day. She also had her labs decreased from four times a day to twice a day. They also went up a little bit on her c-pap to correct her "spells" where her heart rate drops. There are times when she becomes "lazy" and her heart rate drops below 80. Sometimes she brings it back up on her own and other times when she is touched by the nurses or me and then she is able to bring it back up. They keep track of how long they last and if they are significant, it has to be noted in her file. She typically has these at night. One of her goals for going home is that she not have any of these spells for 7 days.

With her new sock monkey.

When I came in this morning, Maddie had a new sheet in her warmer, a new blanket on her donut and new heart monitors that were purple. Her nurse said that she was going to give her a bath this morning, but then realized she wasn't old enough, so just changed all the other stuff so she could feel like a new girl! I honestly believe that the nurses Maddie has had in her time in the NICU are like angels. They are so awesome about explaining how things work and answering questions and they all seem to really care about her. She is a very lucky girl.

Day 4! Notice the new sheets and blanket. 


Maddie got to meet Uncle Steve today and Aunt Renae and Aunt Kelsey came over to visit too. I got to spend time with Renae's kids in the waiting room and Mom showed me the nutrition room upstairs that I can go to if I need a break or a snack. Mom hung out all evening with Maddie, Dan and I. Dan and I also went out to eat for the first time since I was admitted to the hospital. We brought back food for Sarah and Mom. Sarah and I went to Volunteer Services today and picked out a sock monkey for Maddie.

Maddie's Christmas stocking.

Tonight, Maddie got her pulse ox band hooked on her "leg warmer" that covers her PICC line wires and pulled off the "leg warmer". Grandma was available to put it back on. The nurses don't joke when they say she is feisty. She is very verbal when she is dissatisfied with the service she is receiving. Occasionally, she opens her eyes just a little bit to peek at me and make sure that I am actually there. I got to change her diaper and take her temperature again yesterday and today. She tolerates the diaper change a little bit better. I tell people that she gets upset and cries because she thought she would have 12 more weeks to float around and kick her mommy in the bladder and spleen and now instead everyone expects her to breathe, eat, and wear all kinds of wires all the time.

For those who want to see pictures from Maddie's birth until today, please look back on the previous entries. I added pictures including the first time that she and I met in the operating room. Definitely the best picture of me ever taken.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful story for the holidays. My thoughts and prayers continue to be with and your newly expanded family. Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary - Bo was 5 weeks early and I remember he would stop breathing sometimes too. Sounds like Maddie is moving along well. She must be digesting her milk better if they moved it up, right? Think of you all everyday. So glad you can keep this blog up for us to follow ! Luv you all.... Aunt Pam

    ReplyDelete