Sunday, November 10, 2013

Hospitalization - Day 13

An interesting thing happens when you're pregnant. You wear a regular pre-pregnancy shirt or pants and it fits fine and then a week or two later you put on the same shirt and it seems that it has shrunk. This happened tonight with my "Got Panda?" shirt. I swear it wasn't this tight on my stomach last week when I wore it. Apparently it shrunk or I'm becoming huge. I walked past a window that was extra shiny last night on our way down to get cheese balls and exclaimed, "Holy crap I look pregnant!" It was the first time that I thought I looked honestly pregnant and not just chubby. It will be interesting on Tuesday when I have to weigh in to see if I have gained significant weight in the last week. I don't feel that much bigger, but have noticed that I sometimes have to stop to catch my breath if I am trying to move around too quickly. Guess that means that Madelyn has begun stretching up into my rib cage and pushing on my lungs. Also, I thought I peed a lot before. How do most pregnant ladies get anything accomplished? I mean, I know I have nothing better to do than walk back and forth from the bathroom, but if I were at work, I would literally never get any paperwork done between my frequent trips to the restroom and my ADHD.

Moving on... Today I was woken by Dr. Krupp at about 7:15 am. She told me not to wake completely up and felt my legs for swelling and pushed on my stomach. I made an effort to go back to sleep, but then had the nurse, the nursing assistant, and the lab tech all coming in one right after the other. I have to provide a blood sample every three days for type screening so they can know in an emergency to match my blood. I am very relieved that my ivs have been flushing well. They are flushed three times a day and ivs normally last 4-5 days. My right arm has lasted 8 days and my left arm has been in for 5 days. Mo would be so impressed. Even though it doesn't hurt to put in the ivs because they numb the area, it is still a pain in the butt to have yet more holes put in me, so I'd like them to last awhile longer. 

Sony and Dan. Best buddies from college.

Dan's friend Sony came to visit this afternoon. He spent awhile with us chatting. Dan showed him the turtle and we tried to see if the turtle could still crawl if we put the teddy bear on top of him. It was sadly a failure. The turtle is not nearly as strong as we hoped. 

Mr. Turtle struggling with carrying Teddy Bear.

After Sony left, Dan went to Walgreens to get a flu shot so that he won't get the flu and accidentally give it to Maddie after she is born. And double awesome, his insurance covered it!

Luke making himself comfortable.

Kelsey, Matt, Jill, Ben and Luke came to visit this afternoon. Ben played Candy Crush Saga on my iPad, and it turns out he's a natural at it. We also started watching Finding Nemo (and by that I mean they started watching it and I continued watching it after they left). Luke liked the turtle, but only when it was moving away from him or not crawling. He kept rubbing his face on it. 

Ben playing Candy Crush Saga.


One of the nurses recommended a burger place and a pizza place to us tonight, so Dan went and picked us up a "Spicy Hawaiian Chicago Style Pizza" from Wig and Pen. I ordered it without jalapenos thinking that would take care of part of the spicy. I was very, very wrong! Dan had to run to get some milk because even he thought it was too spicy. I let him take the rest home with him, and if I'm giving away leftovers, you know it must have been too spicy!

On my board, I had originally left Kelsey off
(I didn't know she was coming) but I corrected my mistake.

Daily Info
Date: November 10, 2013
Gestational Date: 26 weeks, 3 days
Today I am thankful for: my brothers. 

Matt, me, Ryan


Ryan has for as long as I can remember, always talked to me as if I was an adult. Even at the age of 5, he was teaching me about dangers of the real world, like the risks of drunk driving (his example included my Barbie and her convertible). Every year, he calls me the day before my birthday to wish me a happy birthday. For the record, he finally explained it this year by saying that my siblings went to our grandparents' house on the 28th and I was born just after 1 in the morning the next day, so he has the 28th permanently stuck in his head. It doesn't bother me, it has kind of become our thing. I'm pretty sure that credit for part of my knowledge of random information can be given to Ryan. Probably the most random of random facts: the main export of Zaire is cobalt.

Matt was one of my favorite sports buddies when I was a kid. We used to play football after school and he would teach me new plays that we could use when we played football against Renae and Dad. We were quite the team. I remember in college I was taking a calculus class that was unbelievably hard. I was really upset because I was actually trying in the class but still likely to fail and Matt pulled me aside to talk to me about getting extra help and not being embarrassed about my struggle. It really meant a lot. Also, Matt makes sure that my car doesn't completely fall apart. He also doesn't lecture me when I go way past a scheduled oil change (I hope Dan hasn't read this far into the blog today!). 


One of my favorite movies!

4 comments:

  1. I don't approve of what the teddy bear is doing to the turtle. On the John Tesh radio show I learned when people lie they typically don't use contractions. . . well, I DON'T approve. . .see: not lying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary - We are praying every day for you and Maddie and its so great to hear from you. What a great blog. You totally crack me up! Today, I had to share a God winks moment with you. I was on a call with a partner of mine from Chicago who has a great outlook on life and a good sense of humor. I know little else about him but today I asked him for a joke. He didn't have one but being a Bear fan I said I was surprised he hadn't picked on me for the recent game. He said he had met his 7 yr old daughter and wife to watch the game that night and have dinner. She greeted him with a Packer jersey on and he wasn't happy! I said she sounded like smart indepdenent girl with a great future ahead of her and I liked her already. He said she surprised him in June of 2006 at 1 lb and 10 oz. and had been a fighter ever since. I had to ask him, "How many weeks was she?" "Twenty-eight!" he said proudly. It honestly gave me goose bumps. I shared your story with him and he shared theirs. She is an amazing 7 yr old little girl who is reading above her grade level and also very good at math. He said he has never had a bad day since she was born even though the early weeks were a journey. He said he would pray for you now and on your journey. He very much admired your courage and faith. I told him that he and his "Margaret" were an inspiration. He couldn't wait to go home and tell her about you and Maddie and he said, "She'll jump in the air, give him a high-five and yell, "Go baby!" I told him that no matter where Margaret had been on her journey, now that she was a Packer fan, she was surely on the right track!!! So, here's to Maddie - a future Packer fan! Love the Guehlstorfs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin!!! What a great story!! Tears in my eyes. We cannot wait to meet Maddie!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that story! I am really hoping Maddie isn't a Packers fan though. :-)

    ReplyDelete